A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Fifth Business...

... Or, "the inevitable fifth", who I haven't seen in about a month. Toby is our mystery flatmate. Clear signs of his presence assure us he hasn't died leaving us devoid of his share of the rent- like last night, when he seems to have decided to shave his head, leaving a gift of a full head of hair in the bathroom sink; I think its highly unfair that he's able to scare the living daylights out of a frightfully hungover me at the crack of dawn without even going to the effort of being there in person.
But in themselves, Toby sightings are rare.
When leaving for France, I took care to pack in advance- I know what I'm like, and have a tendency to leave everything to the last minute, and it never gets done. Then I spent too long saying goodbye to everyone and had to run out the door- and picked up the wrong bag .
Arriving in France, I opened my bag hunting for my toothbrush- once we'd found a hotelier willing to let us continue to live in sin in peace- and found... packets upon packets of that arch nemesis of dental hygiene, Shortbread.

Oh, yes- I'd arrived in France devoid of anything bar what I was standing up in.

I then spent the next hour trying to get hold of Toby-
"Tobes. Why the hell do I have a bag full of shortbread?"
"I can't explain it Im! It's just... I had a long drive, and it seemed like a good idea at the time, and they were buy three get two free and.."
"And you didn't warn me why? You were there when I left!"
"But our bags are so similar, and.. OK. I thought it'd be a nice suprise for you on the plane, I know you hate airport food."
"And you didn't think I'd rather have clothes to wear?"
"Well you do wear J's jeans a lot..."
I hung up.

And then I spent the next week or so wandering around the city in a pair of J's jeans, rolled down to my waist and held in place with a belt and braces- the only shoes I had with me were four inch heels, so I'm now adept at walking in them.
Tick. Good thing.
Good thing I had my lucky beret with me, otherwise I'd have stood out like a mad woman among all them elegant Parisiennes.
Oh, and you know what song was playing in the hotel lift that evening?
Dude Looks Like a Lady. Oh, yes.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home